Learn how to handle
bash: pip: command not found error.
1) One possible reason for this error could be pip was not installed or its path wasn’t configured correctly. In general, reinstalling pip can fix this error.
bash: pip: command not found
2) Another reason is you have Python3 installed and you could use
pip3 instead of pip. To check if you have pip3, you can run
As of 2019, you can install
pip using a Python script
Download get-pip.py provided by https://pip.pypa.io using the following command.
1) Run the following command via your terminal.
curl https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py -o get-pip.py
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed 100 1733k 100 1733k 0 0 3154k 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 3152k
2) After you download
get-pip.py Python file, run it using this command. You have to type in your password.
sudo python get-pip.py
Password: DEPRECATION: Python 2.7 will reach the end of its life on January 1st, 2020. Please upgrade your Python as Python 2.7 won't be maintained after that date. A future version of pip will drop support for Python 2.7. More details about Python 2 support in pip, can be found at https://pip.pypa.io/en/latest/development/release-process/#python-2-support Collecting pip Downloading https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/30/db/ 9e38760b32e3e7f40cce46dd5fb107b8c73840df38f0046d8e6514e675a1/ pip-19.2.3-py2.py3-none-any.whl (1.4MB) |████████████████████████████████| 1.4MB 1.8MB/s Installing collected packages: pip Found existing installation: pip 19.2.3 Uninstalling pip-19.2.3: Successfully uninstalled pip-19.2.3 Successfully installed pip-19.2.3
3) After you done installing, run this command to check if pip is installed.
pip 19.2.3 from /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/ Versions/3.7/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pip (python 3.7)
4) Remember to clean up after installing pip by removing the installer file,
1) To install a package using pip, you can run
pip install package_name or
pip3 install package_name.
2) Note that Python 2.7 will not be maintained starting January 1st, 2020. Check out How to Install Python 3 on Mac OSX article to install Python 3.
Thank you for reading! Support Jun
If you are preparing for Software Engineer interviews, I suggest Elements of Programming Interviews in Java for algorithm practice. Good luck!
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.